Building and Zoning

The Building Department often is the first official contact a resident or business has with the City of Richmond Heights. That is because City ordinances require all new residents and businesses to apply for an Occupancy Permit before they can legally occupy a home or commercial facility in Richmond Heights. The Building Department can issue an Occupancy Permit only if the dwelling unit or commercial space in question has passed a Code Compliance Inspection.

The Building Department also issues permits for structures, such as for new homes, room additions, commercial building, fences, retaining walls, porches, and other remodeling jobs as well as demolition permits. The department's inspectors routinely monitor homes in their assigned jurisdictions to ensure that all structures in the City are well maintained, which helps to preserve property values. 


The Zoning Department enforces the Zoning Ordinance of the City of Richmond Heights.  Any new developments or construction projects must be reviewed by the Zoning Department before a building permit can be issued. The department will inform the submitter if they need to take their project before the Board of Adjustment or Plan and Zoning Commission.

Commissions and Boards

The department is assisted in the administration of the Zoning Ordinance by two volunteer citizen groups called the Plan and Zoning Commission and the Board of Adjustment. Both bodies meet on the third Thursday of the month at City Hall.

Services Responsibilities

 James Benedick - circle

James Benedick
Building/Zoning Administrator 

Building and Zoning Department

1330 S. Big Bend Blvd.

P: (314) 646-7658

F: (314) 646-1058

Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

[Department Contacts]