Alone, MSD cannot keep the region’s waterways clean. It needs the support, resources and actions of concerned citizens, businesses and municipalities to improve local water quality. Since our waterways and sewers are shared public resources, there are many steps that you can take to help maintain both.
Everyone can be a part of the solution –
* Disconnect your rain gutters and downspouts from nearby sewer lines;
* Install a rain garden or rain barrel to help capture stormwater runoff;
* Avoid planting trees, shrubs and bushes on your property near the sewer line. As plants’ roots deepen, they can enter, block and damage sewers;
* Reduce your water use, especially during rainy weather;
* Check whether the sewer line that leads to your house has cracks or separated joints and report damage to MSD;
* Reduce fertilizer and pesticide use and lawn watering;
* Properly dispose of household hazardous waste like cleaning products, motor oil and paints;
* Collect and dispose of trash and pet waste properly; and
* Reduce impervious surfaces (blacktop, concrete, etc.) on your property where possible.
Business owners can:
* Recycle or properly dispose of waste;
* Keep lids closed on grease storage containers and trash dumpsters so stormwater will not be contaminated;
* Make sure that chemicals and other materials stored onsite are covered;
* Regularly inspect waste dumpsters for cracks and leaks;
* Keep storm drains clear of debris, dirt or other waste;
* Properly dispose of all wastewater into the sanitary sewer;
* Verify interior floor drains are plumbed to the sanitary sewer;
* Routinely sweep parking lots and pick up litter; and
* Minimize the use of landscaping chemicals and properly dispose of yard waste.
* Eliminate illegal and polluting discharges into streams;
* Monitor and control construction site runoff;
* Promote planning for watershed protection;
* Prevent pollution from municipal operations;
* Promote public education about stormwater management practices; and
* Encourage participation at the Clean Rivers Healthy Communities events;
* Implement procedures to ensure all applicable private and public projects involving stormwater management are reviewed and approved by MSD;
* Adopt and implement directed growth planning and zoning strategies to protect water quality; and
* Adopt ordinances under property maintenance or other codes to require property owners to maintain good stormwater management practices.
- [Clean Rivers Healthy Communities Video...]